History of the Club
Various newspaper articles and Letters Patent indicate that the Barrie Gun Club was incorporated in 1946 by half a dozen sportsmen who, as residents and businessmen of the greater Barrie area, saw a need for an organized shooting sports club to service the residents of the area. Prior to this time, a number of informal target shooting activities had taken place on the north side of Sunnidale Road in what is now Centre Vespra.
The present Pinegrove Road site of the BGC was purchased in 1946 and both outdoor rifle ranges and shotgun ranges (both trap and skeet) were established. A small clubhouse was also constructed for use by the members. During the period of 1946 until the late 1970's, the Barrie Gun Club was an exclusive sportsmen's club - catered breakfasts were common, and membership activities were subsidized by the sale of gravel and timber taken from the property. Each member possessed an etched crystal drinking class which was stored in a display case within the clubhouse and used at club functions. If a member passed away, the glass was placed upside down in the cabinet to symbolize the passing of that member.
For various reasons relating to membership levels, the need for a family atmosphere, and changing interests, the Barrie Gun Club merged with the Barrie Revolver Club in 1977. The Barrie Revolver Club, a dedicated organization to promote handgun marksmanship, had originated in the horse barns at the Barrie Fairgrounds in 1961 and had a permanent location and indoor shooting range on Miller Drive in Barrie's west end. When the BGC and the BRC merged, outdoor shooting activities continued at the Pinegrove Road property, and indoor activities at the Miller Drive property. Members were able to use both facilities.
Two main factors led to the Barrie Gun Club amalgamating both facilities at the Pinegrove Road location we enjoy today. Due to the housing boom of the early 1990's in west Barrie, the Miller Drive property was sold to the City. Additionally, the clubhouse on Pinegrove Road was destroyed by fire in November, 1990. At that time, the Board of Directors made a decision to construct a new, state-of-the-art indoor facility which was fully in place by 1993. Since that time, the entire operation has been based at the Pinegrove Road location.
The Barrie Gun Club prides itself on being the premiere multi-discipline shooting sports facility in Ontario. We presently offer the vast majority of shooting disciplines that are permitted, and find that this caters to an active and diversified membership. New members are always welcome, and we look forward to the opportunity of introducing new people into the shooting sports. We have a very strong youth program, and have dedicated parents, coaches, and volunteers who teach these young athletes not only the importance of safety, but also good sportsmanship, camaraderie, and fun through competition.
The Barrie Gun Club is a good neighbour, corporate citizen, and pillar of the community. Aside from providing a safe, organized facility for members of the public to shoot, our facility has been used extensively by police forces and government agencies for both speciality training and firearms recertification. We have conducted information seminars and demonstrations for various community groups including the Boy Scouts, Girl Guides and Cadets. Twice each year our membership actively engages in a local community clean up resulting in several dumpsters of discarded waste being removed from the area parkland, community centre, township forest, and roadsides.
For over 60 years, the Barrie Gun Club has been a "model to emulate". If you are interested in becoming a member of our organization, please contact us for more information and a club tour.